J Cancer 2012; 3:322-327. doi:10.7150/jca.4716 This volume
Primary Refractory and Relapsed Classical Hodgkin Lymphoma - Significance of Differential CD15 Expression in Hodgkin-Reed-Sternberg Cells
1. Departments of Pathology, Soroka University Medical Center, Israel;
2. Department of Desert Ecology, Jacob Blaustein Institutes for Desert Research, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel;
3. Departments of Oncology, Soroka University Medical Center, Israel;
4. Department of Microbiology-Immunology, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev and Mitrani, Israel.
5. Departments of Hematology, Soroka University Medical Center, Israel.
Benharroch D, Pilosof S, Gopas J, Levi I. Primary Refractory and Relapsed Classical Hodgkin Lymphoma - Significance of Differential CD15 Expression in Hodgkin-Reed-Sternberg Cells. J Cancer 2012; 3:322-327. doi:10.7150/jca.4716. Available from https://www.jcancer.org/v03p0322.htm
We recognized a few possible complications of classical Hodgkin lymphoma therapy in a cohort of 209 patients: 8 developed a primary refractory disease (primary progression), 36 showed an early relapse and 21 showed a late relapse. Sialyl-CD15 expression in Hodgkin-Reed-Sternberg cells was significantly more positive in primary refractory Hodgkin lymphoma, which confirms our previously published findings. Bcl-2 showed a significantly lower level of expression in primary refractory disease than in the other follow-up groups. This is in contrast with a previous finding of Bcl-2, associated with a poor prognosis in primary refractory illness. Another category of variables, old age and advanced stages, was significantly different in the various complications but this finding is probably to be expected. We could not demonstrate a difference between the sequels and the control group with regard to several clinical and immunohistochemical markers. Sialyl-CD15 and Bcl-2 expression, in contrast, were confirmed as prognostic factors, mainly of tumor progression into primary refractory disease.
Keywords: Primary refractory, relapse, classical Hodgkin lymphoma, CD15, Bcl-2.